You might have seen small description below the title in search result page with search phrase in bold. This description is called meta description. Its main purpose is to get the visitor from Google to click your link. Today I am going to teach you how to add Meta Description to Website, WordPress or Non-WordPress websites.
If meta description is not specified, Search engines will display copy from the page instead. So, it’s very important to write a good meta description.
Meta Description is a part of meta tag which is simple HTML tag. Google no longer uses the meta tags in search result ranking and they confirm this in their Webmaster Central Blog. But they use meta description as a snippet in the search result.
There is an indirect benefit, though: Google uses click-through-rate (CTR) as a way of determining whether you’re a good result. If more people click your result then they’d expect based on your position, they move you up. This is why optimizing the meta description is so important, as is optimizing your titles.
Before going to how to write good meta description lets talk about how to add meta description to websites.
How to add Meta Description to Website
Its very simple to write meta description, just use this HTML tag in head section of your webpage
<meta name="description" content="A page's description,usually about 160 characters."/>
There are many meta tags but all of them is not necessary as discuss above. However, these are commonly used meta tag.
<head> <meta charset="UTF-8"> <meta name="description" content="SEO and Traffic tips"> <meta name="keywords" content="SEO,Digital Marketing,Blog,Youtube"> <meta name="author" content="Sanzeev Dahal"> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"> </head>
Learn more about meta tags and different uses in different HTML version at w3schools
Adding meta description to WordPress websites
There is two way to add meta description to WordPress website.
The first method is just inserting above HTML tags in header section near the link for the style sheet to header.php of your template file.
Secondly, using plugins especially Yoast SEO. It is must have plugins to optimize your overall SEO. Unlike above method, you can add meta description and title for each page, post and home page using snippet editor of Yoast.
Using the snippet editor is very easy, so let’s get started!
1. Log in to your WordPress dashboard,
2. Make sure you have the Yoast SEO for WordPress installed,
3. Select “Posts” or “page” from the left sidebar menu, then click “Add New” to start a new post/page
- If you’d like to optimize an existing post, click “All Posts” or”All page” instead then click the title of the post/page you’d like to work on.
4. Scroll down below the text editor until you find the section titled “Yoast SEO”.
5. Click “Edit Snippet”.
6. Edit the information listed under “SEO Title”, “Slug” and “Meta description”
7. When you’re finished, click “Close snippet editor”.
Always check snippet preview to make sure your title, slug, and meta description appear the way you intended. That’s it! Now you can save, schedule, or publish your post as normal!
How to Write good meta description
Now we all learn how to write meta description to website lets discuss how to make it good.
Here is example of good Meta Description
1. It should be around 135 to 160 characters.
2. It should contain the target keyword, Google will highlight the search word. That will make the link more related already.
3. It should include a call-to-action like “click here”, “learn more”, “try for free”
4. It could contain structured content, If the visitor is specifically looking for that product, chances are you don’t have to convince him. Things like a specification, the price will trigger the click. Note that you could, of course, use rich snippets for this as well.
5. It should match the content, misleading meta description might penalize the site. Next, to that, it will probably increase bounce rate and it is a bad for ranking.
6. It should be actionable, in an active voice. passive voice is dull. make more actionable.
7. The meta description should be unique. If your meta description is a duplicate, the user experience in Google will be less.